In an effort to encourage student interest in regularly attending -- and
presenting papers at -- DDA meetings, the Division on Dynamical Astronomy
(DDA) of the American Astronomical Society (AAS) will make available up to
two student stipends to defray travel expenses for each regular meeting of
II. The Student Stipend Awards
1. The Student Stipend Awards, hereafter referred to as the Stipends,
will be an amount set by the Committee of the Division (it is currently
$400), in addition to waiver of registration and banquet fees.
2. Stipends will not be awarded more than once to any given
III. Application and Selection Process
1. Invitations to apply for The Student Stipend Award will be
announced in the AAS newsletter, the DDA newsletter, and by means of a
general E-mail announcement to the membership of the Division. Instructions
will be posted to the DDA web page.
2. Any student presently enrolled in an academic program at a bona
fide college or university is invited to apply.
3. Applications, together with a brief curriculum vitae and letter of
recommendation from an adviser, must be submitted to the Chair of the
Student Stipend Award Selection Committee (SSASC). A summary of the proposed
presentation, including if possible a preliminary abstract, should accompany
the letter. The Instructions posted to the Web page will specify the form
in which applications must be received ((e-mail preferred, ASCII text, but
snail mail accepted)).
4. The applicant need not be a member of the DDA at the time of
application, and the principal letter of recommendation need not come from a
member of the DDA.
5. Applications must be received at least six weeks before the
abstract deadline for the meeting, and awards will be announced at least two
weeks before the abstract deadline. The selected dates for the application
and award announcement will be prominently displayed in all announcements.
6. Applicants for any given meeting shall be ranked, and stipends
awarded on evaluation of applications according to the following criteria:
(a) excellence in scientific research and (b) evidence of independent work
by the applicant.
7. Stipends may be awarded for research in any branch of Dynamical
Astronomy that is represented by the DDA membership.
IV. The Student Stipend Award Selection Committee
1. The Student Stipend Award Selection Committee (SSASC) will consist
of three regular members. After each annual meeting, the member with the
longest tenure will be replaced by a new committee member, to be selected by
the Chairman of the Division with the approval of the DDA Committee. Since
this committee is a special committee of the DDA, its full membership must
be confirmed annually. In selecting this committee, the Chairman of the
Division will attempt to maintain the following balance: (a) a senior
scientist, (b) a junior scientist, and (c) three different branches of
2. In addition to leading the committee, the Chair will report to the
DDA Committee at its annual meeting, to present the slate of candidates
selected and to make recommendations for any changes in the award selection
3. The Chair of the SSASC will notify the Secretary of the Division of
the awardees by the date on which announcement of awards has been promised.
The Chair shall also contact all applicants; winners will be notified and
reminded of the conditions that accompany the awards, while notes of regret
shall be sent to unsuccessful applicants.
V. Presentations by Stipend Award Winners
1. Winners of the Student Stipend Awards will submit an abstract of a
paper to be presented at the regular DDA meeting to which their award
applies. The award winner is responsible for preparing and submitting the
abstract, which will be processed in the usual manner along with other
meeting abstracts submitted. All of the usual regulations concerning
abstract submittal and paper presentation must be followed.
2. Stipend checks will be presented at the meeting to the award winner,
just before their presentation.
3. The recipients will be responsible for making all of their own
arrangements for travel, lodging, meals, and meeting attendance.
V. Funds for the Student Stipend Program
1. Funding of the Stipends shall come from the regular DDA funds,
administered by the DDA Treasurer.
VI. Amendment procedure
1. The DDA Committee shall be the instrument through which amendments
to these rules are made.